A new addition to my Halloween collection!

I LOVE Autumn and Halloween, but if I haven't mentioned it before, I can't handle horror movies. I'm more of a "family friendly" Halloween type. I love mystery and suspense, I just can't stomach the in your face slasher/gore films.

So with this situation, I love trying out all of the spooky teen films that come out and sometimes, they're actually pretty great.

If you're a fan of Goosebumps, Are You Afraid of the Dark, The Haunting Hour and Eerie Indiana, you're going to enjoy R.L. Stine's latest flick, Monsterville: The Cabinet of Souls.

I rented the movie this past weekend and it had my attention from start to finish. It was just serious and spooky enough to be enjoyable and not too kidzy.

The story starts out with a girl running scared, and then we see her turn into some sort of creature, and then we jump ahead 1 year later and find ourselves at a small town Harvest Festival. A traveling house of horrors comes to town and where the show may be just a typical haunted house to most, there's a deeper horror inside for a select few..... and that's where I'll stop as I don't want to spoil anything further.

Monsterville was directed by Peter DeLuise (21 Jump Street, Stargate SG-1) and stars Dove Cameron of Disney Channel's Liv and Maddie along with Ryan McCartan (also from Liv and Maddie), Katherine McNamara (Shadowhunters, The Fosters, Maze Runner: Scorch Trials) and a few other teens that didn't bug me.

*One fun thing I took from the film, was in the beginning at the Harvest Festival where a dance contest was shown, and at this contest, an MC shouts out types of monsters one at a time like "Werewolf" or "Skeleton" or "Zombie" etc and while in motion the contestants have to come up with a dance move on the fly pertaining to that monster. I thought this was such a cool idea for future Halloween parties! 

The scenes were great, the special effects were well done and there were twists that had you guessing. Make sure to check out Monsterville: The Cabinet of Souls this Halloween!







Comments